Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker

Monday, July 30, 2007

is this leftover from the Christmas party?

Had my doctor's appointment and glucose challenge test today.

To test for gestational diabetes, they make you drink a sugary beverage, sit around for an hour, and then draw a blood sample to see how your body's processing the sugar. So I had a styrofoam cup filled with what looked and tasted like flat RC Cola this morning at 8:15. Yum-may.

In the meantime, I sat around and had my quickie check-up. I'm now 155lbs (up 4lbs from three weeks ago). Blood pressure was 120 over 58. Belly measurements and baby heartbeat were all good. I asked the doctor whether the "glucose drink" was actually just flat generic cola. He said no, it was a special brew. Sometimes it's orange or Sprite flavored; depends on what's available in the catalog. But it is supposed to have a little fizz to it.

Then, we made our next few appointments (we're on the every two weeks plan now) and I got my blood drawn, which was fine. Until I got out to the car and realized that my band-aid was completely soaked through. When I started bleeding through the Dunkin Donuts napkin that I added for absorbency, I headed back in to the doctor's office.

"Um, hi. This won't stop bleeding."

They sent me back into the examination room, where I sat with my arm up over my head for about 5 minutes. Doctor came in, looked at the hole in my arm, declared it okay (she must have nicked a blood vessel), and put a new band-aid on.

It was a very exciting morning. (Not really.) Hopefully the test results will come back all clear, because I'm really getting into Oreos again.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

When I did mine, no one thought to tell me to fast beforehand. Needless to say, I found out the hard way that having a Krispy Kreme for breakfast is a good way to fail.

The 3-hour test is a PITA, by the way. XP

Jen said...

Doh. They were actually pretty adamant that I didn't have to fast for this one. The nurse just told me not to overdo the sugar on the morning of. So I had grape nuts and unsweetened sun tea.

I've been hitting the sugar pretty hard since, though. I figure if I do get undesired results, I'll have stocked up on sugar in advance.